Energy boosters can stimulate surges of energy, but in the process, deeply exhaust the body. Sadly, each time the energy surges in the wake of a double espresso, it will crash into deeper depths. To dig itself out of the depths, the brain seeks an even stronger stimulant.Feeling fatigued? Why not reach for an energy drink, dark chocolate bar or get your favorite comfort food delivered? The indulgence may be wonderfully satisfying, but that feeling, unfortunately, is short-lived…To find a source of lasting energy, we must address the underlying cause of tiredness.Below are 10 Ayurvedic secrets to unearthing pure energy and contentment, without the stimulants.
#1: Test your Energy Aid
There are many energy drinks and supplements on the market that promise to supply you with never- ending energy, without the crash!.As a result of stimulating the nervous system to cultivate energy it doesn’t actually have, the adrenals and other energy-producing centers of the body become depleted. A healthy energy aid should be capable of boosting energy in the morning, and if taken before bed, it should allow for restful sleep – the goal should be rejuvenation, not stimulation. If you take the energy aid at night and it wires you and disturbs your sleep, it is a stimulant in disguise. These types of products will slowly deplete your reserves and, over time, take tolls on your energy, sleep, mood and focus.
#2: Pay Back Energy Debt with Rejuvenative Herbs and by Building Ojas
While in the west we think of the digestive process lasting about 4 hours, according to Ayurveda, its last 30 daysand ojas is the final product. There are certain herbs, activities, and foods to help boost the production of ojas. The best way to pay back energy debt is to build“ojas.” Ojas is best translated as “vitality,” and is the most refined component of digestion. Ojas builds immunity, energy, virility, radiant complexion and a joyful and loving temperament.Ojas-Building Activities
Here is the simplified recipe: Take 1/4 teaspoon each of ghee, dates, almonds, coconut flakes and saffron and bring to a boil in milk. Add raw honey and drink in the morning and before bed.
#3: Get Off the Roller Coaster
There are two main sources of fuel in the body: sugar (carbs) and fat. While the government was funding bread sales at less than a buck a loaf, we were also told that fats were bad. Without healthy fats in the diet to stabilize energy, and with an abundance of cheap bread and corn products on the market, blood sugar levels became unstable. Energy levels soared and crashed incessantly, until yesterday’s complaints of hypoglycemia became today’s pre-diabetes and extreme fatigue epidemics.
#4: Reset Fat Burning Ayurveda-style and Get your Energy Back!
Basically, we need to train our bodies to start burning fat instead of sugar. We can do so by changing our eating habits with the goal of avoiding spikes in blood sugar by implementing the fat-burning suggestions below.
A good night’s sleep may be one of the best ways to lose weight and reset fat burning which, in turn, delivers long-lasting, stable energy. According to numerous studies, not getting enough sleep is an independent risk factor for weight gain.Of course, both work in the body as fuel – but fat is way more efficient and long-lasting compared to sugar. Sugar is quickly depleted in the body, and can leave the body over-stimulated, exhausted, craving, and storing unused sugar as fat.
#5. Eat Three Meals a Day with No Snacks
Eating three meals per day burns fat in between each meal and through the night, which we are designed to do.
- Don’t eat late at night – studies show the later you eat, the harder it is to lose weight. One study showed that you lose 25% more weight if you eat a breakfast and lunch, instead of a lunch and supper. (2,3)
- Make lunch a bigger meal – studies show we digest better in the middle of the day (and this is traditional around the world). (2,3)
- Stop snacking – studies show we eat 100% more food than we need. Have nothing but water between meals to force fat burning and achieve stable energy.
- Our bodies are 60-80% water. It is essential to deliver energy to the cells, reset fat burning, boost energy and lose weight. (7)
- Sip hot water the best you can throughout the day.
- Drink half your body weight in ounces a day.
#7. Boost Digestion
- Drink 8-12oz of water 15-30 minutes before food to pre-hydrate the stomach and fire up digestion.
- Take cumin, coriander, fennel, ginger, and cardamom before or with meals to fire up the fat burners and deliver energy to the cells. (5,6)
- Take a short rest on your left side after your big mid-day meal.
#8. Eat Foods for Energy
- Nut and seed butter
- Vegetables – leafy greens, kale, spinach, chard and watercress
- Root vegetables – beets, yams, carrots, and potatoes
- Fats – coconut oil, olive oil, ghee and fish oils
- Complex carbs – oats, barely, quinoa, millet, amaranth
#9. Eat Balanced Meals
- Aim for 1/2 veggies, 1/4 starch, 1/4 protein on your plate.
- Example of a balanced plate: Chicken 1/4, cooked veggies 1/4, yam 1/4, salad 1/4 – olive oil as dressing.
#10. Fresh Air and Exercise